Multi-Day Tour | Private Tour
Daily | Book 7 days before
#D1 Gaobei tulou cluster | Chuxi tulou cluster | #D2 Nanxi tulou cluster
Gaobei tulou cluster (高北土楼群)
The Gaobei tulou cluster is located in Fujian's Yongding County, and is notable for boasting the biggest and baddest of the area's tulou: Chengqi Lou (承启楼), otherwise known as the "King Tulou." This cluster also offers a number of less-grandiose tulou, from the empty and crumbling Wuyuan Lou (五云楼) to the recently built (1960's) Qiaofu Lou (桥福楼), where guests can book a room and spend the night.
The Chengqi Lou (承启楼) tulou is a Hakka dwelling made from mud, sticks, rocks, wood chips and whatever else was handy (some tulou even have rice in the walls!). This tulou is often referred to as King Tulou because of its sheer size. The building is a maze of circular passageways, all within the protective enclave of the outer tulou wall. Though relatively new (in comparison to some of the more ancient tulou, like Yuchang Lou), this 300+ year old structure is truly a sight to witness.
Chuxi tulou (初溪土楼)
The Chuxi tulou are 15th century Ming-era tulou, including one building that is four stories tall, no small feat for a building made of mud. These enclosed homes, which are made of rammed earth, stone, wood and other miscellaneous materials (some even have rice in the walls!), house members of the Hakka minority. Like many of the tulou in the region, it represents a remnent of an older time, when communal living was more common and warring tribes were a more regular occurance.
Nanxi tulou cluster (南溪土楼群)
Located in Yongding County, the Nanxi tulou are some of the more recent additions to the tulou in this area. The structures consist of mud, sticks, rocks, and whatever else was at hand, and their purpose was to aid in protecting against unfriendly neighbors, bandits and wild animals. Though the residents no longer require such protection, these buildings continue to foster a community that is unique in modern China.
Day 1 Xiamen-Yongding
8:00 a.m. Xiamen downtown hotel pickup and drive to Yongding County (about 3 hours)
En route to see these fascinating homesteads take a break in a picturesque tea field and visit a teahouse to witness a Chinese tea ceremony and enjoy a cup of the local chá. Tea has a 1,600-year-long history in Fujian Province and the techniques for brewing the five different types of tea grown in the region—oolong, black tea, green tea, white tea, and scented tea—all originated here, with the exception of green tea.
2:00 p.m. Gaobei tulou cluster (about 2 hours)
4:00 p.m. Chuxi tulou (about 2 hours)
Stay overnight at the Yuqinglou Hostel.
Day 2 Yongding-Xiamen (includes breakfast)
In the morning, trek along footpaths in quiet fields and enjoy the idyllic views before having breakfast.
Visit Jiqing Lou, one of the oldest tulous built in 1419. Climb the top of nearby mountain and have a bird's view of Chuxi village.
11:00 p.m. Nanxi tulou cluster (about 2 hours)
2:00 p.m. Head back for Xiamen and Transferred to hotel at about 5:00 p.m. (about 3 hours)
1) English-speaking guide service
2) Accommodation, admission fees, meals and transportation as listed in details
1) Single room supplement
2) Personal expenses, optional items or anything else not specifically mentioned
• Please call or email Ctrip if you need to cancel your booking.
• Modification is not accepted, please cancel your booking first and rebook the product.
• Free cancellation for bookings canceled at least 7 days in advance.
• If you cancel 4-6 days prior, there is a 50% cancellation fee.
• If you cancel within 3 days prior, there is a 100% cancellation fee.
How to Join the Group:
• On departure date you will be picked up from hotel, please check the pickup range as specified in details.
• You will be contacted before 8:00 p.m. the day before departure to confirm pickup information regarding your driver and/or tour guide.
We may contact you via phone (if provided), hotel reception, or email. If we cannot reach you before this time, please call the emergency contact number which you will find listed on the confirmation email.
• Please call Abby @18760006909 for any urgent matters.
- Children: 2-12 years old and shorter than 1.2m (3 ft 11 in)
- Each child must be accompanied by at least 1 adult.
- Prices for group products are fixed. For private products, the bigger the group the lower the price per person.