Day Tour | No-Shopping | Group Tour | Boutique Tour
Depart: Tue-Sun | Book in advance: 1 day
Forbidden City | Tian'anmen Square | Jingshan Park
Experience the Best China with Ctrip VIP Groups!
• Product: Small group limited to maximum 6 participants, well-designed itineraries without shopping or hidden costs
• Guide: Friendly and finest licensed guide who is not only fluent in English but also will assist you all round your tour
• Driver: Trust worthy licensed local driver with over 5 years’ driving experience, familiar with the roads and itineraries to all destinations and restaurants
• Vehicle: Insured 7-seat business vehicles equipped with air purifier, recycled every 4 years, and registered with Beijing Tourism Administration
• Meals: A large selection of restaurants offering various cuisines such as vegetarian, Muslim, Chinese, Western, Jewish, and Indian restaurants
• Service: 24/7 customer service; portable Wi-Fi; bottle water and beer free of charge at refreshments kiosk
• We attempt to bring imperial times to life for you through fascinating stories, anecdotes with original pictures, and videos shown on an iPad.
• Skip the long and boring queues at the Forbidden City.
• Go deeply into the history of the Chinese people with our expert professional guide.
• Enjoy a Western-style lunch on the tour.
8:00 a.m. Beijing downtown hotel pickup & transfer to Forbidden City (about 1 hour)
• Please note: Free pickup/drop-off available for hotels situated within the 4th Ring Road of Beijing, otherwise additional charge applies.
9:00 a.m Forbidden City Heritage Walking Tour (about 5 hours)
There will be a brief introduction by your Forbidden City presenter at the East Flower Gate.
Stroll along the City Moat and the red outer wall to reach the Meridian Gate.
Hear a brief introduction about the Meridian Gate. This place was used to penalize offending officials in the Qing Dynasty.
Turn right and enter the Hall of Literary Glory, which today is used as an exhibition hall for porcelain. On an iPad, your guide will give you a detailed presentation on the procedure for making golden bricks, porcelains, and pillars.
Discover the royal library at the Hall of Literary Profundity which was built for the emperor 300 years ago.
There is a grand square in front of the Hall of Supreme Harmony as you walk back to the Central Axis Way. Your guide's presentation will answer your questions, like: Where is the throne of the Chinese emperors? How did the emperor have an audience with high-ranking officials? What is the significance of the sundial, bronze turtle statue, stork statue, huge copper vat, etc. if you have any more questions here, feel free to ask your guide.
Visit the Hall of Complete Harmony and Hall of Preserving Harmony, which respectively functioned as the place for the emperor to change his costume before grand ceremonies and the venue for the annual imperial exams.
As you take a walk along the white marble balustrade that descends from the main palaces, you will see a 200 tons slab with a dragon and cloud design. Your presenter will enlighten you as to how this giant slab was transferred into the Forbidden City.
To the eastern side of the Forbidden City is the Clock and Treasure Exhibition Hall. Don't miss out on exploring the famous Nine Dragon Screen also located on the eastern side.
Continue to walk deep into the second yard there, to see the Studio of Unimpeded Sound, where the Emperor and Empress watched the only entertainment in the imperial palace: Peking opera. Your guide will brief you about Peking opera by showing iPad pictures.
As you continue to walk deep into the second yard there, you will see the beautiful Studio of Unimpeded Sound. This happens to be the place where the Emperor and Empress watched the only entertainment in the imperial palace: Peking opera. Your guide will brief you about Peking opera by showing iPad pictures.
Our iPad presentation will show you what the Crystal Palace once looked like. A walk along the red palace wall to the Palace of Prolonging Happiness enables you to view the remains of the most artistic building in the Forbidden City — the Crystal Palace.
Cross the Central Axis Way to view the Hall of Heavenly Purity and the Hall of Earthly Tranquility, which used to be respectively the audience hall for high ranking officials and the venue for emperors' wedding ceremonies.
As you stroll along the side of the Western Chamber leaving the Inner Palace Courtyard, your next stop is the Hall of Mental Cultivation. Here, you will see the screen that was between the throne of "the Little Emperor" and his mother — "the Dragon Lady". It is where the renowned historical events known as "Power Behind the Screen" took place. Of course your guide will be giving commentary, showing pictures and bringing back to clarity the life of those historical figures for you.
The Palace of Eternal Spring served as residence of the most influential political figure in late Qing Dynasty — the Dragon Lady, Empress Dowager Cixi. Many experts believe the defeat of China in the war with Japan in 1898 was due to mismanagement of Chinese navy funds. It has been argued that Empress Dowager Cixi used Chinese navy funds to build her own garden. Nonetheless, she is also widely credited in the history of China as the benefactor of the first railway, first telegraph, first coalmine, and even first stock share. Your guide will show you her biography on an iPad.
Finally, the last palace you will see is called Feast Pavilion; it is characterized by artificial rockery, surrounded by peonies and trees in beautiful shapes. Some of them look like animals of the Chinese zodiac. Here, you will be presented with the history behind the annual selection of the emperor's concubines and their story and that of the eunuchs during the era of the Qing Dynasty.
As you exit the Forbidden City through the North Gate, you will cross the 52 meters wide moat. Frozen water from the moat is kept in underground storehouses in preparation for summer. During summer, the ice was taken to the imperial palace to preserve food and fruits fresh. Also, the ice was used to cool the air for the emperor and empress. If you want to know more about it, our guide will present pictures on the iPad.
1:30 p.m. Lunch at the famous Café (Alley Coffee) which is renowned for serving delicious food (about 1 hour)
2:30 p.m. Tian'anmen Square (about 1 hour)
After the lunch, you will visit the Tiananmen Square - the largest urban square in the world where you will see the iconic portrait of Chairman Mao hanging on the red wall. You can take pictures and walk around at the square. You guide will give you a background information of this famous square.
3:30 p.m. Jingshan Park (about 1 hour)
Jingshan Park is located on the central axis of Beijing and has many historic buildings symmetrically located on both sides. To the north is the Drum and Bell Tower and to the south; the Forbidden City and Tian'anmen Square. It is 479 meters high and is said to be the best position to get a panoramic view of the Forbidden City.
5:00 p.m. Transfer to hotel (about 1 hour)
• Please note: airport or train station drop-off is available requiring additional fee.
1) English-speaking guide service
2) Admission fees, meals and transportation as listed in details
1) Personal expenses, optional items or anything else not specifically mentioned
2) Gratuities to the tour guide & driver (usually CNY 50-100 per person for them) . It is not compulsory but would be highly appreciated.
Please call or email Ctrip if you need to cancel your booking. Modification is not accepted, please cancel your booking first and rebook the product. Free cancellation for bookings canceled at least 72 hours in advance. No refund will be granted for cancellations made after this time.
On departure date you will be picked up from hotel (please check the pickup range as specified in details). You will be contacted before 8:00 p.m. the day before your scheduled activity to confirm pickup information regarding your driver and/or tour guide. We may contact you via phone (if provided), hotel reception, or email. If we cannot reach you before this time, please call the emergency contact number which you will find listed on the confirmation email.
Please call David @13910694045 for any urgent matters.
Bookings made after 6:00 p.m. the day before your scheduled activity will be canceled.
- Children: 2-12 years old and shorter than 1.2m (3 ft 11 in)
- Each child must be accompanied by at least 1 adult.
- Prices for group products are fixed. For private products, the bigger the group the lower the price per person.